Subject: Re: static vs. dynamic runtime linking, again (was: PAM and su -K)
To: James Chacon <jmc@NetBSD.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/25/2005 09:30:43
On Jan 25, 2005, at 7:27 AM, James Chacon wrote:

> This is why on solaris I patch gcc to at least push -R lines to the
> linker
> for this as well. Now, why the GCC maintainers insist the broken
> behavior
> is "correct" is beyond me...

I've been meaning to cook up a patch that allows the -R for
GCC-implicit libraries to be selected on a per-target-configuration
basis.  This would solve the problem for NetBSD, and allow the GCC
people to retain the current behavior for their favorite platforms
(they have reasons for wanting it; not that I agree with those reasons,
but they do have a rationale, nonetheless).

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>