Subject: ntp listening address restrictions
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/06/2004 22:36:16
The platform: a machine with well over a hundred addresses aliased onto
one of its interfaces.

The OS: NetBSD/i386 1.5.3.

The program: /usr/sbin/ntpd.

The symptom: "socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0) failed: Too many open files"

The cause: ntpd wants to listen on all local addresses individually,
but the file descriptor limit is 64, too small to do one socket for
each of those hundred-plus addresses.

Two obvious approaches are "don't run NTP" and "raise the fd limit".
But I'd rather tell NTP to ignore most of those addresses, listening on
just a few, listed somewhere in the config file.

But I can't see any obvious way to do this.  ntpd(8) is no help.  The
HTML(!!) files it points me at aren't very readable, and after some
grepping around in them I'm still completely empty-handed.

Anyone know whether this is possible, and if so how? Or should I just
go see if Dave Mills is willing to take a moment to answer it?

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign