Subject: Re: Compiling the system with different options.
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/16/2004 12:55:27
--1Dvf9Qz7hFaodvwE

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 12:29:47AM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
  | In article <20041116001946.GQ7801@mewburn.net>,
  | Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org> wrote:
  | >-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-
  | >
  | >On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 05:49:12PM -0500, Christos Zoulas wrote:
  | >  | There was a recent PR mentioning that right now there are too many=
 options
  | >  | hard-coded in the Makefiles and we cannot easily turn them on and =
off.
  | >  | The example in the PR was -DINET6, but there are many more.
  | >
  | >Such as?
  | >INET6 is one of the few remaining ones to fix AFAICT.
  |=20
  | Probably, but the approach of having to add an if statement to ~100
  | Makefiles is not appealing.

That can be a pain, but not a huge one.

  | I also think that the approach of short-circuiting the subdirectory
  | traversal depending on the options is not great. I would rather have
  | make descend in all the directories and do nothing. (Think about
  | make clean)...

I concur, to some extent.  However, this won't really help in the
"make clean" phase if SRCS is conditional (or PROG for that matter).
Again, this is a "more thought required" issue.  Or "more discussion
required at the bar"

--1Dvf9Qz7hFaodvwE

--1Dvf9Qz7hFaodvwE--