Subject: Re: sshd vs X11
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/04/2004 15:49:27
>> What's the appropriate bludgeon and where do I apply it to convince
>> sshd that I do in fact know what I'm doing, and it should do X
>> forwarding?  It seems arrogant to the point of being broken for sshd
>> to insist on an xauth it knows how to run even in the presence of
>> ~/.ssh/rc.
> I've never used ~/.ssh/rc and I don't know any answer for this
> question.

I got desperate enough to try ktrace -i on sshd, which reveals that it
is stat()ing /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth.  When I symlink that to
/usr/bin/true, sshd shuts up and runs my rc script.  (I then have other
problems; I get "rejected because of wrong authentication" gubbish
which I have not yet tracked down the cause of.  But the problem I
wrote here about is papered over, though not fixed.  Worth a PR maybe?
Or would this just be punted to the OpenSSH people and ignored?)

> But maybe you can also set up a ~/.ssh/config with XAuthLocation
> specifying the location to your xauth.

Doesn't help (as expected - that's a client-side config, and it's the
server side that's misbehaving here - and yes, I got rid of the symlink
when testing this).

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign