Subject: Re: forbidding rm -rf /
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Rui Paulo <phlox-netbsd-userlevel@fnop.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/06/2004 00:48:08
On 2004.10.06 08:35:20 +0000, SODA Noriyuki wrote:
> 	"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> said:
>
> > Solaris 10 doesn't allow "rm -rf /" -- should we do the same?
> > http://blog.sun.com/roller/page/jbeck/20041001#rm_rf_protection
>
> I have to say I don't like the change.
>
> What happens if one does "rm -rf *" at the root directory on Solaris 10?
> Should every OS include all craps to prevent such mistakes?
> I don't think so.

I completly agree.
There are so many possibilites to damage an entire filesystem that if
we need to avoid them, this is not the way to go. There are better
ways to protect a system.
Not to mention the fact that this change removes control over the
system that IMHO the 'root' should have.

Regards.

--
Rui Paulo                          "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
                                      -- Leonardo da Vinci