Subject: Re: _pflogd user
To: The Grey Wolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: mouss <usebsd@free.fr>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/11/2004 16:25:24
The Grey Wolf wrote:

> Don't even get me started on reserved uid/gid ranges.  I got fired due to
> some dope who was insistent that, under UNIX, "lower numbers give you greater
> privilege.  I read an article on it once, but I can't find it now."

I wasn't after privilege. I would just have preferred if adduser and the
like used similar defaults. well, this can be done locally so it's not
very important...

> [he subsequently rewhacked all the UIDs (imagine the NFS hell!) without
> my permission, managed to convince VP/Ops that I was the one doing it
> wrong, and got me fired.  VP/Ops didn't even listen to what I had to say.

The only way the vp/ops could have listened to you is if you proposed a
theory a bit more complex than (low vs high numbers), such as:
   - uids that are odd prime numbers and are less than 2^(11-7) are for
accounting programs
   - those of the form 2^4*p are for network daemons and utilities
.... (and of course explain this by citing Fermat, Hilbert, ...)