Subject: Re: _pflogd user
To: SODA Noriyuki <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/10/2004 19:15:20
On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 08:18:32PM +0900, SODA Noriyuki wrote:
> 	Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de> said:
>
> >> It is better to have particular convention for system users
> >> to avoid namespace conflict.
>
> > OK, but this will affect a lot of accounts, no?
> > (Thinking of possible upgrade fun...)
>
> If we are going to use the convention for existing system users,
> yes.
>
> But I don't think we have to rename existing ones, in that case,
> there won't be any problem with upgrading.

I am writing this on a large timesharing NetBSD system (at one time,
and with a different hardware incarnation, SunOS) that has had a user
named "squid" for about the past 12 years.

I think you can imagine the problems that caused a few years thereafter.

I would actually be in favor of the painful, annoying step of renaming
some of the existing system users.

Thor