Subject: Re: _pflogd user
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/10/2004 13:01:52
[ On Friday, September 10, 2004 at 20:42:56 (+0900), SODA Noriyuki wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: _pflogd user
>
> BTW, FreeBSD uses the "_pflogd" user for pflogd, too.
> So, even if we don't use the "_" convention, it's better to use
> "_pflogd" for compatibility with both FreeBSD and OpenBSD.

There is no possible need for such compatability.  It's impossible to
share system accounts between heterogeneous systems without making many
other changes as well and so this one tiny insignificant compatability
will be of no advantage whatsoever.

There is however something to be said for conformability with NetBSD's
existing conventions.  Since no such trick is used by NetBSD for any
other system account it would be rather non-conforming for the "pflogd"
user to use such a trick (i.e. with a leading underscore it would stick
out like a big ugly sore thumb!  :-)

--
						Greg A. Woods