Subject: Re: _pflogd user
To: SODA Noriyuki <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: mouss <usebsd@free.fr>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/10/2004 17:39:40
SODA Noriyuki wrote:

> I agree that being consistent is a good goal.
> But I think we shouldn't rename some existing system users like
> "news", "games", "postfix", etc. Those names are widely used among
> varous operating systems, so it's better to keep those names as is.
> We don't have to worry about the conflict for those names anyway.
>
> But for new names, especially not so common among varous operating
> systems, it's better to have particular name space.

I like the idea. I think it's good to go for this convention (or
another, but this has the advantage to be already here:). there is no
need to rename old accounts. it suffices to allow adding new ones (such
as _news being added either as a simple alias to news or as a different
account).

one of the things it allows is "naive" access control based on account
name (such as "_* can't do this"), as well as hiding system accounts in
user interfaces.

Of course, having reserved uid/gid ranges would probably be a better
alternative (that wouldn't be incompatible though), but this is hardly
possible in heterogenous networks.