Subject: Re: Permit loose matching of codeset names in locales
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/06/2004 12:45:56
On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 11:27:11AM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:

> I am not sure I clearly understand Soda-san's reasons for wanting to
> ensure that "ja_JP.Shift_JIS" or "ja_JP.sjis" will not work, and those
> parts that I may understand, I disagree with. So I will let him make his
> argument for going with route #1 instead of route #2 (if that is indeed
> what he is trying to argue.)

Encouraging the proliferation of nonstandard names for objects is almost
_always_ a bad idea.  All it does is send you down a slippery slope on which
you must add hack after hack for further compatibility with even more
busted user input in the future, as others try to be more "helpful" and
"flexible" than you are.