Subject: Re: Permit loose matching of codeset names in locales
To: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@wasabisystems.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/06/2004 11:27:11
On Mon, 5 Sep 2004, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> Given the existence of /usr/share/i18n/esdb/esdb.alias, why is it a
> bad thing to use it?

As I understand it, two options we are discussing are as follows.
(Certainly these are the two options that I am discussing.)

    1. The user may use "ja_JP.SJIS", and it will work, but no other
    variations (such as "ja_JP.sjis" or "ja_JP.Shift_JIS") will work.

    2. The official NetBSD name (when we return a name, for example, or
    distribute the list of names, or whatever) would be "ja_JP.SJIS",
    but users would be allowed to use variations (such as "ja_JP.sjis"
    or "ja_JP.Shift_JIS") where local names can be specified by the
    user.

Soda-san, if I am interepreting him correctly, thinks #1 is the better
option; you and I prefer #2.

Is this a correct summary?

My argument for #2 is that I believe it makes life easier for users,
because it increases the chance that something they use on another
system (be this a commercial Unix or some version of Linux) will work
unchanged on NetBSD.

I am not sure I clearly understand Soda-san's reasons for wanting to
ensure that "ja_JP.Shift_JIS" or "ja_JP.sjis" will not work, and those
parts that I may understand, I disagree with. So I will let him make his
argument for going with route #1 instead of route #2 (if that is indeed
what he is trying to argue.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org
     Make up enjoying your city life...produced by BIC CAMERA