Subject: Re: Permit loose matching of codeset names in locales
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/03/2004 00:37:25
der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> writes:

> > [...] Nynorsk (a minority language spoken in Norway).
>=20
> While I will happily defer to anyone authoritative here, this doesn't
> really sound quite right to me.  As I understand it, nynorsk is not a
> minority when viewed as a spoken language, only written, since (by its
> very nature) nynorsk was an attempt to capture the language as it was
> actually spoken.  While I know practically no written nynorsk, I have
> been given to understand that in the two places about which I have
> communicated with locals on the subject (Horten and Troms=C3=B8), the spo=
ken
> language is comparatively close to nynorsk, certainly closer than it is
> to bokm=C3=A5l - even though bokm=C3=A5l is the usual written form.

For what it's worth:
    http://www.sprakrad.no/nynor.htm
The languages are mutually intelligible, but at least some people
consider them to be distinct.

I am scarcely authoritative myself, though I can discuss the more or
less similar issues of Sk=C3=A5nska (my mother's birth tongue, also known
as Scanian) vs. Swedish.

Ian