Subject: Re: Permit loose matching of codeset names in locales
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/02/2004 23:32:22
> [...] Nynorsk (a minority language spoken in Norway).

While I will happily defer to anyone authoritative here, this doesn't
really sound quite right to me.  As I understand it, nynorsk is not a
minority when viewed as a spoken language, only written, since (by its
very nature) nynorsk was an attempt to capture the language as it was
actually spoken.  While I know practically no written nynorsk, I have
been given to understand that in the two places about which I have
communicated with locals on the subject (Horten and Tromsø), the spoken
language is comparatively close to nynorsk, certainly closer than it is
to bokmål - even though bokmål is the usual written form.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign