Subject: gunzip|dd causes dd to fail w/ new gzip
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/08/2004 22:09:03
I have an application[1] that basically does

	ftp -o "|gunzip|dd bs=1m of=/dev/rwd0d" $url

I got to update if after a while, and find that it constantly gives me:

	dd: Invalid argument

Playing around, I cound that the problem is not dd or access to
/dev/rwd0d, but gzip! Using all -current sources gave the above error.
Moving just src/lib/libz and src/usr.bin/gzip back to sources from
20040401 (cvs update -D20040401) gave me a working situation again.

I have no idea (yet...) in what way gzip could possibly make dd print that
error, but if anyone has an idea I'd be happy to hear about it. Thanks!

 - Hubert

[1] http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

--
                         ,,_