Subject: Re: Implementing periodic.d
To: Jim Bernard <jbernard@mines.edu>
From: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/20/2004 13:08:18
Jim Bernard wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 05:33:57PM -0700, Jon Buller wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps what we need is some sort of job queuing system.
>
>   Like /usr/bin/batch?

Well, sorta like that.  But I would rather have one that doesn't
currently exist.  After all, I wouldn't want to look foolish when
I recommend it over the one I forgot about that is already in the
system. 8^)

Thanks for the pointer/reminder.

And I think that batch would have been better for that former
employer as well, except for NIH.  After all, some PHB read an
article about how to turn the lpd system into /usr/bin/batch, and
was quite proud of the fact that he could implement it after reading
the trade rag de jour.  And then his pet had the inertia of a large
corporate system depending on it...

Jon