Subject: Re: bootable USB flash drive. how?
To: Dave <dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/06/2004 09:22:17
On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 12:47:37AM -0800, Dave wrote:

> I think I'm clear on how to make a bootable USB flash drive using ffs.
> Does anyone here know how to do this using the msdos filesystem?
> newfs_msdos -B foo -F 32 /dev/rsd0e doesn't work.  "foo" == kernel.sys or
> sys.com, both from FreeDOS (http://www.freedos.org).
>
> # newfs_msdos -B kernel.sys -F 32 /dev/rsd0e
> newfs_msdos: kernel.sys: inappropriate file type or format

You don't do it that way....
You need to create a filesystem where the first FAT is in sector 32,
I can't remember whether you need to request 'hidden' or 'reserved'
sectors to do this.

Then do the same as for ffs, except specify bootxx_msdos to installboot.

You (probably) don't want an msdosfs root filesystem though, so may need
to build a kernel that uses a specific root filesystem.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk