Subject: Re: Policy questions
To: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/04/2004 10:50:06
--Qxx1br4bt0+wmkIi

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 02:48:14PM +0000, Gavan Fantom wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Sean Davis wrote:
>=20
> > If the network is safe enough for rsh, it's probably safe enough to jus=
t run
> > X over tcp without forwarding it through anything.
>=20
> This is a pain when you have to start messing with xhost and setting
> DISPLAY correctly, especially if you're not on :0.0.

Agreed, but tunneling X when you already trust your network, even if it is
more convienent, does nothing but add more overhead to the X connections.

My point was that there really isn't much use for X-over-ssh on a
trusted(-enough) network. The advantage you point out is about the only one
I can think of, and I don't think it outweighs the protocol overhead of
running X through ssh.

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII