Subject: Re: Policy questions
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/02/2004 11:54:50
Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net> wrote on Fri,  2 Jan 2004
at 11:50:59 -0500 in <20040102115059.A26707@noc.untraceable.net>:

> >The devil is in the details. I'm not sure what the best tool for this
> >sort of thing is, but I guess a netcat-style tool is the most generic
> >and flexible.
>
> netcat is probably not the "best" too, since one can also use rdist or
> rsync or rdump or something, depending on what you're doing, but
> netcat is certainly a damn good tool to have around.

Err, no. rdist and rsync and rdump all require an rsh-style channel.
The point I am trying to make is that:

	.	rsh cannot be configured to provide a channel for these
		tools without providing login access, which is
		unacceptable.
	.	ssh cannot be configured to provide a channel without
		high encryption overhead, which is undesirable.

netcat can solve this problem. I'm not sure what other tools can
(other than gssftp, with "PROT CLEAR").

--jhawk