Subject: Re: re-reading /etc/resolv.conf on change
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: mouss <usebsd@free.fr>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/02/2004 00:52:53
Greg A. Woods wrote:

> You want to use a database to send a binary flag or two!?!?!?!?

No, I meant a [sysctl] db to store configuration params. Anyway, I'm not
after the db itself, an fs-based API would be ok, if there is some
optimization level.

> we don't need to -- most already have appropriate reload support since
> most long-running programs that use the DNS also have their own
> configuration files to keep track of.

but their current code doesn't reload resolv.conf. Worst, resolv.conf is
hidden in the resolver library code.

Also, signals don't marry well with threads. But that's a different story.

>>Sure but requiring the user to run a program after he updates a config
>>file should be last resort.
>

> Who said anything about "the user"?!?!?!?
>
> We're talking about "userland" here, not (just) end-user initiated
> actions.

Who would run /etc/rc reload?