Subject: Re: config, using 64bit values in host tools
To: James Chacon <jmc@NetBSD.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/18/2003 10:13:26
On Nov 18, 2003, at 9:17 AM, James Chacon wrote:

> This would be nice in general as we have things (say firewire) which
> use
> 64 bit identifiers for things even on 32bit hosts. Today it's split
> into
> a high/lo pair but it's cumbersome.

Yah.  Eventually, I'd also like to support arbitrary string locators,
as well, but that is a much larger change, in general.

However, as a start, I would suggest that when a locator is defined,
it's type is also defined.  This would allow config(8) to do some range
checking of provided values, and would set the stage for config(8) to
also pass up the type of the locator to the kernel.