Subject: Re: color_xterm versus xterm_color
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/23/2003 09:59:48
--MGu/vTNewDGZ7tmp

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:35:36AM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
> I'm wondering why in the hell Linux couldn't just leave well enough
> alone and do what the sane world does...or did I just contradictatorially
> answer my own question?
>=20
> X11R6's xterm is fine; everyone uses termcap:xterm-color; what's the big?

It's not fair to blame this wholly on Linux.

I wish they hadn't introduced color defaults (or started claiming
in their hacked termcap file that xterm could support color), but
no two vendors' definition of xterm has ever been the same, and
it's caused me enough pain to hard code, in my dot-files, what TERM
to set based both on the OS of the machine I just logged into and
the OS of the machine I just logged in from (trust me, you don't
want to see how I do that).

The pain between NetBSD, Solaris, and Linux was just too much before
I did that.

To try to remain a bit on-topic: the suggestion here seems to be
to import a sensible xterm-color for people who want it and specify
that they want it, but not to dump a lot of default colors on the
average user still using xterm. I think that's a wonderful idea.

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net

--MGu/vTNewDGZ7tmp