Subject: Re: dd could replace rawrite
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/10/2003 06:57:13
On 10-Oct-03 John Hawkinson wrote:
> I think it's important for the floppy disc creation instructions to be
> as user-friendly as possible. Does dd further that? I recall rawrite
> will prompt you for a file and a device if run without args, etc.

That depends on who you are being friendly to.  To someone like me, to whom a
windows machine is an unfamiliar and scary place, rawrite is far more
intimidating than dd.  Also.. wouldn't the exact combination of options for dd
on win32 be pretty consistent across all win32 machines?  As long as we give
them a command, rather than say "it's dd, the commands may differ, good luck"
we won't be bad off.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
NetBSD supported hardware database: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/hw.cgi