Subject: Re: Booting NetBSD Faster
To: None <jon@bullers.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/19/2003 14:16:28
[ On Friday, September 19, 2003 at 07:58:12 (-0700), jon@bullers.net wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Booting NetBSD Faster
>
> My one and only datapoint against this is when I put an SSL cert
> in my Apache config...  My SS20 would spend several minutes waiting
> for Apache to start before letting me log in then.  Don't know if
> it was waiting for more key material from /dev/random, or if it
> was precomputing and encrypting things, but it seemed like forever.

Well if you know you don't have anything which depends on apache being
already running when it starts then you can simply arrange to start
apache in the backgrouns.  There's no need for /etc/rc to wait for it.

If I'm not mistaken (and no, I haven't tested this, yet), a carefuly
placed "&" in the appropriate variable setting should do the trick,
though choosing the exact variable and the exact location will probably
depend on exactly which rc.d script you're working with.  Perhaps if the
rc.subr infrastructure had a simpler way to say "start in the background"

(IIRC many older systems, including SunOS-4, used this trick quite
regularly to start daemons that were not dependencies for anything else.)

--
						Greg A. Woods