Subject: Re: echo -e flag
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: None <bjan+tech-userlevel@bjan.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/09/2003 08:37:38
On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:46:26AM +0200, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 01:29:26AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> > Or you patch it to not use -e, which I'd recommend w/o knowing what
> > exactly is echoed there.
>
> The echo that's built into /bin/sh on -current recognises -e and DTRT:
>
> $ echo -e "abcd\nefghij"
> abcd
> efghij
> $ echo "abcd\nefghij"
> abcd\nefghij
> $ type echo
> echo is a shell builtin

Granted, but (a) this echo is not documented under sh(1) and (b) if it
is the echo that is documented under ksh(1), it does not support all
the escapes that GNU echo does.

Fortunately, this whole question has become moot. I've been in contact
with the maintainer, and it turns out that there are only two instances
of echo in the whole foomatic database, and I have patched both of them.
It is unlikely that many more echo instances will occur in future.

Everyone can now sleep safely knowing that their printing needs will
be taken care of, no GNU echo required :-).
--
Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+JUNK@bjan.net>