Subject: Re: BSD auth for NetBSD
To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@itojun.org>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/09/2003 06:38:13
	itojun@itojun.org (Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino) said:

> 	as a firm believer of "rough consensus and running code"

Well, I don't see that there is rough consensus to import BSD auth
as the basic layer of authentication, because many people pointed out
that BSD auth can be implemented over PAM, and PAM can never be
implemented over BSD auth, and also people who agreed with BSD auth
couldn't produce any counterevidence.

I have read Frank's post, but he didn't mention which way we should
go, AFAICT.

>	here's the working code for BSD auth for NetBSD.

Hmmm.
There is a PAM implementation for NetBSD, too.
Why don't you commit the PAM implementation instead?

>	now, may i commit?

I think you shouldn't, unless your code is using PAM to implement
BSD auth.
If it implements BSD auth over PAM, I think it may be fine to commit
it, but I guess it doesn't, does it?

P.S.
I'm really going to sleep now... ;-)
--