Subject: Re: echo -e flag
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+tech-userlevel@bjan.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/08/2003 01:23:53
On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 02:21:19AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> > [...] come from the Linux Printing Project, [...]
>
> > The LPP's attitude to portability seems to be, "make it work on Linux
> > and everyone else will cobble something together."
>
> Nor, contrary to the implication, is that terribly unreasonable, if, as
> their name implies, their raison d'etre is to produce something for use
> on Linux.

Their name is not a horribly good implicator of their purpose.
According to thier front page:

Welcome to the LinuxPrinting.org website. We have resources to help
with printing under free operating systems like GNU/Linux and the
BSDs or under commercial UNIX-like systems such as Solaris and OS
X.

They also come out with some real pearls of OS design...

# What 'echo' program to use.  It needs -e and -n.  Linux's builtin
# and regular echo work fine; non-GNU platforms may need to install
# gnu echo and put gecho here or something.

I count three (in)?distinct definitions of "Linux" in that paragraph.
--
Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+JUNK@bjan.net>