Subject: /etc/issue [& /etc/issue.net]
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Thomas <mthomas@brocade.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/21/2003 14:25:11
I'm planning on adding support for /etc/issue (gettytab) &
/etc/issue.net (everything else) to NetBSD.  These files contain
*uninterpreted* text to be written before issuing the login: prompt.
While gettytab(5) can provide that functionality now, inconvenient to
use (especially for scripts or programs).

telnetd/rlogind/sshd will try to use /etc/issue.net, and if that is not
available they will try to use /etc/issue.  In either situation, the
evalution of things in /etc/getttytab will remain unchanged.

This also gives NetBSD equivalent functionality to HPUX, Solaris,
Linux, Tru64, and other modern Unix-like operating systems.

--
Matt Thomas                     email: matt@3am-software.com
3am Software Foundry              www: