Subject: Re: Maximum partition size relative to system memory?
To: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/12/2003 05:19:57
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, John Klos wrote:

> Personally, I'd like to see a mechanism whereby a partition can be marked
> in fstab to be non-critical for going multiuser, so a system can boot
> multiuser and start an fsck in the background with swap available. This is
> basically what I plan to do (ie, have it set to noauto and run fsck in the
> background via rc.local), but maybe it should be an option in the startup
> scripts.

Swap to block devices is already done before fsck. You can easily
check the order the relevant rc.d scripts will execute as follows:

  rcorder /etc/rc.d/* | egrep 'swap|fsck'

On your idea to add a third class for fsck, I've often thought
that myself. You could fake it, now, by setting the sixth field in
"/etc/fstab" to "0" (or leaving it off), adding ",noauto" to the
fourth field, then dealing with your non-critical partition some
other way, such as via "/etc/rc.local".

Frederick