Subject: Re: groff question: update needs less -R
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/16/2003 15:19:53
[ On Monday, June 16, 2003 at 14:55:36 (-0400), Andrew Brown wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: groff question: update needs less -R
>
> i'm tempted to urge people to consider option 2.

That's by far the best option, but perhaps for different reasons than:

>  or does no one print
> the preformatted man pages any more?

Doesn't everyone print typeset manual pages these days?

Unix was originally built to do typesetting, or at least that was the
excuse given to justify the cost of building it and it was the first
real end-user application it was used for.  For many years Unix was one
of the few systems that had really good looking typeset manuals.  I've
always thought of ASCII formatted manual pages as only for viewing on a
terminal and only for printing for those of us too poor/cheap to afford
a typesetter (or later for those (not me at the time!) who were too
poor/cheap to afford a copy of ditroff and a PostScript printer).  These
days with the likes of groff and ghostscript everyone with practically
any kind of printer can print typeset manual pages (if indeed they still
need/want to print manual pages on paper ;-).

After all if you're going to waste trees on NetBSD manuals don't you
want the result to look as good as possible?  :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods