Subject: Re: Symbol lookups.
To: None <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/09/2003 09:02:08
>> > As a result of this, I think there may be a reason to remove the
>> > kvm database alltogether, especially because it would need a bunch
>> > of extra massage anyway to update it if modules are loaded/unloaded;
>> > and fall back to the old "nlist" way of retreiving kernel symbols
>> > if /dev/ksyms is not in the kernel?
>>
>> I think this is a great idea.  It would allow us to remove a bunch of
>> code, as well.
>>
>Yes, that is a nice side-effect of it.
>
>Ok, nobody seems to have any special objections, so I will change the
>kvm/nlist routines to use the /dev/ksyms interface instead, and retire
>the old kvm.db stuff.

even thought it had the nice side effect of providing a simple single
place to look for kernel symbols?  perhaps kvm_mkdb should be changed
to something that copies the kernel to a known place?  /dev/ksyms is
still an option...

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."