Subject: Re: BSD lpd and network print servers
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/08/2003 12:34:30
[ On Thursday, May 8, 2003 at 07:50:51 (+0200), Ignatios Souvatzis wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: BSD lpd and network print servers
>
> But the problem is real - lpd print filters run on the print server, not
> on the client.

Yes, and most of them are very minimal featureless little things.

I gave up on the LPD print server in my Apple LaserWriter 16/600 and
instead I've installed Netatalk and run it with PAP.  This way I can
even see nice warnings like "warming up", "paper jam", "Cassette (250
Sheets): out of paper", "Cassette (250 Sheets): no paper tray", and so
on when I run "lpq" (and they, along with all the PostScript "error"
messages, all get logged as well).  I even get accurate page use
accounting for postscript jobs (because the print subsystem can ask the
printer how many physical pages were printed for the job).

Although Netatalk's PAP support is still rather "primitive", it already
clearly surpasses many other print drivers and I would recommend at
least trying it for any network attached printer that supports Appletalk
PAP.

--
								Greg A. Woods