Subject: Re: 64-bit ABIs
To: None <kleink@reziprozitaet.de>
From: None <cgd@broadcom.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/29/2003 08:02:59
At Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:02:37 +0000 (UTC), "Klaus Klein" wrote:
> This is not a problem on any platform currently supported.

If we ever support N64 on MIPS, i *believe* this would become a
problem.

(64-bit MIPS keeps 32-bit values in registers sign-extended into the
upper 32-bits.  so, a uint32_t would still be sign extended in the
register.  64-bit values are, of course, kept as 64-bit values.  8-)

That's not to say that we shouldn't make this change now... just that
we really shouldn't allow it to creep into our heads that this type of
change is generally OK for the future.

cgd