Subject: rcorder and rc scripts without "special lines"
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/02/2003 11:26:57
I am using rcorder (as built from sbin/rcorder code from -current plus
libnbcompat from pkgsrc/pkgtools/libnbcompat).

The rcorder(8) man page says: "Each file passed to rcorder must be
annotated with special lines". Notice that it says "must".

And the documentation says that each file must contain REQUIRE, PROVIDE,
BEFORE, and KEYWORD lines. I think "must" should be replaced with "should"
or "could".

The man page also says it may contain zero PROVIDE lines and zero REQUIRE
lines. I think that it should not say "and". Is it okay if a file doesn't
contain both PROVIDE and REQUIRE?

Anyways, I ran rcorder on a rc.d directory with various scripts that
didn't have any of these special lines. It still listed the scripts (so I
guess it attempted to order them).

Then I ran it against a tmp directory without any scripts. And it gave a
result.

Maybe rcorder should only output filenames of files that actually contain
at least one of the "special lines".

Or maybe it could be an option to print (or not print) filenames which do
or do not have the special lines.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

p.s. I am using rcorder under Linux and glibc.