Subject: Re: lpwrapper
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/21/2003 21:06:56
--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 11:11:40PM +0000, Ben Harris wrote:

> In the case of lpr and sendmail, though, if the user has installed a
> replacement, the standard version _won't_ work.  Submitting a print job
> through the in-tree lpd won't work if the in-tree lpr isn't running,
> similarly sending mail though Sendmail won't work very well if the

Remark to this: this is true, but only because lpr moves the spool files
into the spool area and needs a) the right set of privileges and b) to
communicate this to the daemon.

Lprng has a better approach: every print job is submitted via the network,
even to the local printer. Maybe we should investigate whether we can
change lpr to do so, thus eliminating yet another suid/sgid program.

Regards,
	-is
--
seal your e-mail: http://www.gnupg.org/