Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/etc
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/18/2003 21:53:06
Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> I would strongly oppose removing the MTAs from the base source, for
> the same reason we keep things like awk or vi in the base source. We
> do not, technically speaking "need" vi or awk or what have
> you. However, the system experience is made substantially better by
> having these things managed in basesrc.

But, in contrast with vi or awk, what should the MTA be good for?  For
individual workstations it's in most cases a complete overkill and when
it's listening on the 'net per default, it's also a security risk.  And
for a dedicated mailserver it's not very useful either, since the
version shipped is too old, can't easily be upgraded, or is lacking
other specialties needed for the site so you'll have to add one from
pkgsrc anyways, or build one yourself.
IMHO it's a lot better suited for pkgsrc.

--
Matthias Buelow