Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/etc
To: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/17/2003 23:47:21
Matthias Buelow said:

>I thought NetBSD-current was about to be syspkg'd anyways?  Then the
>problem won't show up -- don't like sendmail, or the notoriously ancient
>postfix version that NetBSD ships with?  Just give it the boot and
>install something else.  If that isn't feasible somehow for the near
>future, I'd rather have no mailer daemon installed by default at all
>than sendmail, or some old postfix, where I have to jump thru loops to
>properly replace it with a newer version. Packages solve all and
>everything here.  I'd prefer a really small base system, with everything
>else in packages.  Not a distribution that looks like it was made for a
>central minicomputer university installation and intended to be
>installed from reel tapes (and includes all and everything on that tape
>because of the absence of a packaging mechanism.)

NetBSD takes up less that 150 megs of space on NetBSD/sparc 1.6. When you
syspkg everything, individual binaries won't be able to be replaced, unless
each binary and file is a separate. Solaris 8, for instance, has around 600
packages. Some of these packages depend on others. Sun, with 10+ years
experience, hasn't got the whole dependency chain right yet.

My -current system uses up 15 megs just keeping track of what I have in
/usr/pkg.
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com