Subject: Re: groff update?
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/17/2003 09:34:54
[ On Monday, February 17, 2003 at 12:47:32 (+0100), Thomas Klausner wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: groff update?
>
> So for the switch to happen, we'd need to do two things:
> a) teach the new mdoc package the .Nm "" syntax

No, that's bogus.  Leaving it as it is the only right thing to do.  The
new mdoc package should never learn the broken syntax -- the groff folks
are 100% correct about this.

> b) teach the old mdoc package the .Nm . syntax, and pull it up to
>    the branches
> Step b is not so important

It's only unimportant if you really don't care that -current users will
have broken manual pages for the time it takes to elide the bogus usage
from them.  I personally wouldn't care, but....

If instead you teach the old mdoc about ".Nm ." then you can fix all the
old uage and once it's all fixed then you can upgrade the mdoc package
and hopefully nothing will be broken for anyone.

--
								Greg A. Woods