Subject: Re: Removing GNU tar and GNU cpio from src?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/27/2003 18:02:06
    Date:        Mon, 27 Jan 2003 05:17:26 -0500 (EST)
    From:        der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>

  | If the source file doesn't have a comment block heading each function,
  | it is rather severely out of date.

That's hard to determine.

Does ...

/* Convert a string to a time_t, applying defaults as necessary.
   Return 1 on success (and store the result through vp) or 0 on failure. */
static int numeric_time(const char *s, time_t *vp)
{
 int i;
 char v[5];
 int val;
 struct tm tm;
 static const char defstr[] = "....0101000000";
 static const char monthnames[] = "janfebmaraprmayjunjulaugsepoctnovdec";

 for (i=0;(i<4)&&s[i]&&isascii(s[i])&&isdigit(s[i]);i++) ;

count as having a comment block, or not ?   (one random example, the
functions all seem to look more or less like that).

  | (I'll be happy, of course, to send you a modern version if you like.)

It would be better to get pkgsrc updated, if it needs it.   That would
be much easier if there was some more reliable way of telling which
version was which, apart from "comment block in the header of each function"
or not...

But I do see...

 *      TAR_INODE_NETBSD 		[among others]
 *              Describe what sort of raw-inode-reading code should be
 *              compiled in (support for the i keyletter).

which I assume is the relevant support.

kre