Subject: Re: Removing GNU tar and GNU cpio from src?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/26/2003 15:50:24
[ On Saturday, January 25, 2003 at 22:26:51 (-0500), der Mouse wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Removing GNU tar and GNU cpio from src?
>
> >> Pure, yes.  Simple, no.  Who gets to decide what counts as corrupt?
> > Yes, actually it is very simple in this case.  If the st_mtime value
> > for the file changes from the time it was first opened to the time
> > its "last" buffer was written to the backup then the backup is
> > obviously corrupt.
>
> That's one possible meaning for "corrupt" here.
>
> Despite what you appear to be convinced of, it is not the only one; it
> is not even the only useful one.
>
> Since you are unlikely to be convinced of that, and I haven't seen
> anyone else supporting that position, I see nothing to be gained from
> elaborating.  I'll be happy to do so off-list with anyone interested.

Now what exactly was it I said about verifying integrity?  Hmm... Here
it is, right from the text you did not quote from my posting:

    Obviously a lot more
    could be done to better verify the integrity of the backup copy, but
    this one check is so obvious and simple and low-cost that not doing it,
    at least by default, is a bug, pure and simple

--
								Greg A. Woods