Subject: Re: Larger rm Change
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/08/2003 00:07:19
[rm to unset user immutable flags when root runs it]
> personally, i *expect* those flags to make rm fail.  in the case that
> they do so, rm prints an error, and then i can decide if i really
> meant to remove that file (and remove the flags and try again if i
> really really meant to remove the file).

I noticed that, but I think it is okay. I would have been shocked if it
tried to remove system immutable flags, but this is just about root
ignoring user immutable flag, this is different.

Root knows what (s)he is doing. If root decides to blow away some user
data, I think that there should not be any way for the user to make it
fail. Think about automatic /tmp cleanup for instance.

User immutable is for the user, so when a user uses rm, it should not
remove user immutable files. But root should not care about user
immutable flags. I see only one exception to this rule: I think it is
bad to make rm remove user immutable flags on files owned by root.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
How the BSA is pushing to make computer programs patentable in Europe: