Subject: Re: moving g77 to the ports system
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
From: Igor Sobrado <sobrado@string1.ciencias.uniovi.es>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/04/2003 17:57:37
> On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 03:44:10PM +0100, Igor Sobrado wrote:
>
> Just a quibble about terminology - NetBSD has a packages collection,
> and building packages from source involves pkgsrc.  In NetBSD, a port
> is an implementation of NetBSD for a specific architecture.

Yes, I make a mistake with the terminology used by FreeBSD.
I know what ports are, and that NetBSD has the impressive amount
of 37 fully-supported ports now.

> As far as dividing up parts of the base system, and using the
> packaging utilities to manage them, that's called system packages, and
> was implemented some time ago, although we have yet to release a
> version of NetBSD with system packages enabled.

I know what packages are.  I write SVr4.x packages since 1996 (for Solaris).
It is nice to know that NetBSD has utilities to manage software packages.
It is better waiting, and not releasing those packaging utilities before
being fully tested.  Another advantage of all the BSDs is that those OSes
are not in a permanent-beta-status.

Igor.

--
Igor Sobrado, UK34436 - sobrado@acm.org