Subject: Re: moving g77 to the ports system
To: Igor Sobrado <sobrado@string1.ciencias.uniovi.es>
From: Joel Wilsson <joelw@unix.se>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/02/2003 16:21:02
On Thursday, January 2, 2003, at 03:44  pm, Igor Sobrado wrote:
> But when a package has serious problems and it is not fixed,
> stability is bad.

I've never used g77 (and I don't know anyone who has), but
what are the serious problems?

> 4. It is not being widely used.
>
>    It is not a required component of a BSD system and it is not
>    used when build a BSD system from the source code.

Those reasons are good enough for it to be in pkgsrc, imho.
Sometimes it's hard to say what is "required" and what is widely
used, but in this case it's seems quite clear.

> Moving it to the ports collection is not bad.

No, it's good :)

> Same about new compilers provided in the GCC suite, that are being
> provided in the latest releases of the Compiler Collection.  Those
> compilers (e.g. java) can be provided too as ports.

I fully agree. The java compiler is a good example of something
(else) that shouldn't be in the base system.

Not related to this mail, but more to your mail about /usr/conrtib,
I'm still wondering why postfix is in gnu/dist/postfix since
"IBM PUBLIC LICENSE VERSION 1.0 - SECURE MAILER"
isn't exactly GNU...

Cheers,
   joelw