Subject: Re: poll() emulation code
To: Andreas Gustafsson <gson@gson.org>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/03/2002 11:59:15
> The reason I ask is that the parallel make code in NetBSD's make(1)
> currently supports using either poll() or select() by means of
> numerous #ifdefs.  Supporting both poll() and select() is probably
> useful for cross-building NetBSD on systems, ...

I doubt it: is there any platform that is sufficiently POSIXy to allow
cross building but which doesn't have poll()?  The platforms listed in
src/tools/compat/README all have poll(): HP-UX, Linux, and Solaris. I
thought Cygwin was another platform that could build NetBSD and it has
poll() too.  Ancient BSD platforms didn't have poll(), but they're all
I can think of.

I suggest dropping the #ifdef select() code and seeing what happens.
As you suggest it's not hard to emulate select() with poll() if that
becomes necessary.

Regards,

Giles