Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/bin/ksh
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/17/2002 13:58:03
>My login shell is a csh derivative.  But I never use it for scripts;
>with only two exceptions, all my shell scripts are sh scripts.  (The
>two exceptions are my .cshrc and .login.)

I'm afraid you are the exception rather than the rule.
It used to always amaze me when I saw stuff comming from Sun with csh
scripts to do the install.  I've even seen non-trivial sub-systems
written in csh - it had to be totally re-written after the contractor
was sacked :-)

The sad fact is that people stick with what they know - the old hammer
vs nail issue springs to mind.  People who use csh as their login shell
and have not been taught otherwise are often found using csh for things
god never intended.

Further, when people get their nice new shinny unix box for christmas and
fire it up and see that all the system accounts that have shells use csh
guess which shell the novice will pick?  and so the problem grows.

--sjg