Subject: Re: Abbreviations
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/12/2002 10:23:56
Andrew Brown wrote:
> sorry, i misspoke.  what i meant to say was:
>
>     speaking of modload...i think one of its partners (modstat) is in
>     the wrong place.
>
> modstat is in /usr/bin, the other programs are in an sbin section, and
> all the man pages are in section 8.

modstat is non-critical program usable by 'normal' system users,
so it belongs to /usr/bin. modload/modunload are system utilities
not intended to run by 'normal' users, and need to be available
during boot. So they belong to /sbin.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>            http://www.NetBSD.org/