Subject: Re: finger
To: T.SHIOZAKI <tshiozak@astec.co.jp>
From: Kimmo Suominen <kim@tac.nyc.ny.us>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/12/2002 08:52:18
Let me refine my statement into a question:

Do you see a way where we could automatically use LC_CTYPE/LANG for
single-byte character sets without causing problems for other locales?

I would really like to see finger adjust to the user's environment much
in the same way less and vi already do.

Could we just make -i the default?

Had I seen your message (0008.html) in my mailbox yesterday, I would not
have committed the -8 option to finger.	 It in no way was implying that
your -8 flag should not go in -- I feel it is better, and I simply had
not seen the proposed patch.

Again, I just think there should be a way for the administrator to
enable the "-i" behaviour on a system-wide level.  For all other
programs it is done with LC_CTYPE/LANG.

Regards,
+ Kim

| From:    Kimmo Suominen <kim@tac.nyc.ny.us>
| Date:    Thu, 12 Sep 2002 08:42:08 -0400
|
| This patch still removes the capability of detecting the environment of
| the user, and automatically displaying proper characters.  It is not
| necessary to remove that to implement -8.
|
| + Kim
|

| | From:    "T.SHIOZAKI" <tshiozak@astec.co.jp>
| | Date:    Thu, 12 Sep 2002 18:14:50 +0900
| |
| | > As you probably could tell from my commit message, I was not happy with
| | > the fingerd change myself.  I just wanted to have a quick hack to make
| | > myself happy by seeing 8-bit data from fingerd.	 I should have taken th
| | > two more minutes that it took to do it right.
| | >
| | > I just committed a -8 option to finger(1) and fingerd(8), which enable
| | > true 8-bit pass-through.  The -i option is gone from fingerd(8).
| |
| | Please stop committing before convergence of the discussion...
| |
| |
| | My patch is not quick hack but an appropriate change to conform to
| | rfc1288 in its own way, although there are some compromised points due
| | to imperfection of rfc1288 and concern about actuality of terminals.
| |