Subject: Re: finger
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Oleg Polyanski <Oleg.Polianski@team.telstraclear.co.nz>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/12/2002 23:29:51
der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> writes:

> > Please just make finger{,d} pass safe subset of 8bit [...]
>
> Part of the trouble is, fingerd has no idea what "safe subset of
> 8bit" is for the client.  It could pass anything and let the
> client deal, but that can break clients that aren't smart enough
> to filter.

 I really do not quite get it. Could please anybody explain to
 me, why we should treat finger specially if I, for instance, can
 put into my `/etc/ftpwelcome', `/etc/issue' etc anything I want
 and, bearing in mind the superior popularity of ftp and telnet
 clients unlike finger, it will definitely break a lot of clients
 or, at least, your xterm (until you reset it)?

Oleg