Subject: Re: finger
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/11/2002 01:47:45
> From: Kimmo Suominen <kim@tac.nyc.ny.us>
> Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 23:40:58 -0400
> > Ok, I put in code to only enable 8-bit display for ISO8859-* codesets.
> > Are there other single-byte 8-bit codesets?
>
> please don't make daemons locale-sensitive.
> and please don't hard-code codeset's name.

This thread reminds me that locale-sensitive ftpd and ls of
several commercial Unix (e.g. Solaris, HP-UX) made emacs
dired package unusable.  It is one of my reason why I
dislike such systems.

Kim, I think that I understand your desire to extend finger
to grock your language, but it should not the way to go.

Suppose that my passport is written in my native language,
Japanese.  A Custom officer of foreign contry may not read
it.  That makes a Custom formalities more uncomfortable or
even inpossible once in a while.  So unless there is
particular agreement, my passport should be written in
English, which has smallest charcter sets.

It's a good example of "localisation != internalisation".

--
SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
http://www05.u-page.so-net.ne.jp/ba2/kei_sun/