Subject: Re: finger
To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Kimmo Suominen <kim@tac.nyc.ny.us>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/07/2002 22:33:20
Please show what the problem is, so we can try to fix it.

Why does the server need to know the client's character set encoding?  I
think the client should still check the characters for validness, as we
are alredy doing with isprint(3).  A malicious server could ignore the
character set reported by the client (or even worse, use it for choosing
when to attack).

It is not any more correct to modify characters that are valid for the
display of the user (as indicated by the user through choosing a locale
in his/her environment).

+ Kim