Subject: Re: finger
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Kimmo Suominen <kim@tac.nyc.ny.us>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/07/2002 22:05:51
I'm not proposing a protocol change to finger.  My modification did not
change the protocol at all.

My change was to make finger behave more like vi and less, where setting
the locale will have the expected result of displaying characters that
are valid in that locale.  Invalid characters will not be displayed.

You were proposing a protocol change, and I my reply was that my change
does not prevent protocol enhancements in any way.

I haven't noticed any interoperability issues with the Linux systems
that have a finger client passing 8bit characters.  It is impossible
to fix an interoperability or other issue that is not described, so
please would you provide an example.

+ Kim